|MTC: new staff to keep LibanCell running smoothly (Daily Star)
|Company says no serious changes will be made within next 6 months
Mobile Telecommunications Company (MTC) announced it had already hired over 100 new staff to run the LibanCell network, after 309 staff members opted to leave the mobile operator for hefty state-brokered indemnities.
"There are around 270 working in the company today," said MTC chief executive officer Saad Barrak. "And at the current capacity and current operational requirements we are at the right size," he added.
According to the CEO, MTC has mainly focused on the transition stage and stabilization of the operation, which "was extremely smooth."
"We are working out human resources requirements and making sure that the services were offered to customers are at the same level or even better than before."
However, the Kuwaiti mobile operator, which also has stakes in Kuwait, Jordan, Bahrain and Southern Iraq, doesn't expect to start introducing more lines, improve the services and reduce communication costs before six months, as a plan of action needs to be presented and approved by the Telecommunications Ministry.
Another future hurdle will be the introduction of more lines into the network. "Right now the network can't handle more than 20,000 extra lines due to the restrictions of a six-digit number," said Barrak. "We are in urgent discussions with the ministry on this issue and they will come up with a different numbering scheme. This will take time," he said.
According to Barrak, the hefty indemnities to be paid to staff who preferred to resign "will be paid according to procedure and agreement by the end of June."
This statement was reinforced by a statement by Telecommunications Minister Jean-Louis Qordahi who asserted that compensation would be paid by June 30.
The minister also encouraged all the employees who resigned to continue working for the mobile operators and assured the continuity of work for the same financial conditions, and gave his personal guarantee for that.
The Daily Star