85 km north of Beirut, lies Lebanon's second largest city known as the capital
of the north.
A few historic marks
Habitation of the site of Tripoli goes back to at least the 14th century BC, but
it was not until the 9th century BC that the Phoenician established a small trading
station here. Under the successors of Alexander the Great during the Hellenistic
period, Tripoli was used as a naval Shipyard.
Under Byzantine rule, along with other coastal cities, Tripoli was destroyed by
an earthquake and tidal wave in 551.
the 12th century Crusaders entered Tripoli causing extensive destruction.
The city then fell into Mamluke Sultan Qalaoun who destroyed the old port city
to build a new one in addition to numerous religious secular buildings.
During the Turkish Ottoman rule Tripoli retained its prosperity. Excavations revealed
part of the ancient southern port quay and a necropolis from the end of the Hellenistic
- The Citadel : Known as Qul'at Sinjil (Saint Gilles). It has been renovated many
times during its history.
- St John Church : The remaining of it were found on the Abu Samra hill.
- The Great Mosque built in 1336.
- The Taynal Mosque built in 1336 by Seif ad-Din Taynal.
- Al-Mualaq Mosque built in mid 16th century.
- Burtasiyat Madrassa Mosque built in the 14th century.
- Hammam Izz ed-Dine built in 1298, now under restoration.
- Hammam el-Abed built in the 17th century.
- Hammam al-Jadid called "the new bath" built in 1740.
- Souk al-Haraj built in the 14th century
- Lion's Tower built in the 15th century.
Tripoli has today 500.000 habitants and it is divided in two : El-Mina and the
town of Tripoli proper.